TEXT: Acts 2:41-47
(Outline based largely on W. Barclay’s Commentary on Acts)
1. IT WAS A LEARNING CHURCH
A) This is the way to become noble Christians (Acts 17:11)
B) We were born again by God’s Word (James 1:18; 2 Tim. 3:15)
C) We grow by God’s Word (1 Pet. 2:2)
D) We are equipped for ministry by God’s Word (2 Tim. 3:16)
2. IT WAS A FELLOWSHIPPING CHURCH
A) Fellowship brings encouragement to Christians (Hebrews 10:24, 25). Could it be that we are declining spiritually because we neglect having fellowship with our fellow Christians?
3. IT WAS A PRAYING CHURCH
A) Christ is present in the church that prays (Matt. 18:20)
B) And when the church prays God answers (Matt. 18:19; James 4:2c)
4. IT WAS A WONDER-WORKING CHURCH
A) It was a church where great things happened (c.f., John 14:12).
5. IT WAS A SHARING CHURCH
A) “… they were rightly joined together with brotherly love amongst themselves, and … they did indeed declare the same, because the rich men did sell their goods that they might help the poor… we must relieve the poverty of our brethren with our plenty…. they brought forth and made common their goods in no other respect, save only that they might relieve the present necessity.” – John Calvin
B) This was also faith and love in action (James 2:15-16, 1 John 3:17-18).
6. IT WAS A HAPPY CHURCH (c.f., Philippians 4:4)
7. IT WAS A WELL-LIKED CHURCH
A) Their joy attracted outsiders who naturally would also want for themselves what they saw these Christians had.
8. IT WAS A GROWING CHURCH
A) The Sovereignty of God in Church Growth (v. 47b, c.f. 1 Corinthians 3:6)
B) The Responsibility of Man in Church Growth
1. Faithfulness tranlates to fruitfulness (Matt. 25:20-21). That is a flawed and mechanical view of faithfulness which in a sense blames God for lack of fruit, or is actually a form of complacency that justifies itself with the excuse that results are in the hands of God.
2. “And surely, whereas the Church is rather diminished than increased, that is to be imputed to our slothfulness, or rather frowardness [wickedness].” – John Calvin
(Preached this at Redeemer’s Baptist Mission, Sum-ag, Bacolod City on July 28, 2013)